For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Tuesday, April 8, 2008

More Doodles!!

I have been doodling again! These are small and easy to pick up and put down whilst parts of my latest cloth are damp stretching, or if I just feel like a change for half an hour. I have appliqued with vintage lace, vintage transfers and vintage cloth, adding french knots and running stitch here and there. The blue and white 'doodle' will remain as a sample I think, mostly because it is worked on a cotton backing, not silk. I have worked with silk for so long things just don't feel right worked on anything else.




This 'doodle' however has a future...I have plans for this piece which I will keep you updated on I promise.


Now back to my latest cloth, you can see the blue tailors chalk line here that marks out the hexagon shapes for patchwork. This trailing floral embroidery will be combined with text hexagons and joined to the already completed section, (the piece with the embroidered cotton tape)


If you look closely at these two images you can see that the fabric is slightly ruched, hence the need to damp stretch. Trust me, it's not purely an obsession, sometimes it's a necessity!

2 comments:

Needles said...

Hi Karen. How goes the show. The clothes look wonderful in the photos. I absolutely love the way the honeycombs fan out when they hang.

Ulla said...

I have tagged you. Go to my blog and see what it is about.
These new pictures are, again, very beautiful!