For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Sunday, March 30, 2008

Relaxing Sunday

I have had such a lovely day today, the kind of day where everything feels right and all your plans come to fruition with no hiccups. I hope you had one of those too because they are such feel good days.
First thing on my list was packaging this sample. This is one of a batch that I intend to put in the shop on tuesday, this particular piece already reserved for the lovely Kaija. Made from vintage cotton and lace, I have embellished this sample with blocks of satin stitch, couched thread and running stitch.



I then found time to create my own treasury list on etsy. A kind of wish list, a treasury is a compilation of items you love for whatever reason, the colours, the textures, the patterns etc etc. Check mine out here and let me know what you think.
Next up was my embroidered cotton tape. All lovely after being damp stretched (if you have never damp stretched your work you should try it. It gives it that extra something..) I pinned it to the embroidered silk panel I had stitched. And yes, that is more text, what would my work be without text?

It is now securely applied with the ever present running stitch ready for the next stage.


3 comments:

Katy Swift said...

Found your blog a little while ago and love it. Your pieces are so beautiful and delicate. Very inspiring.

Sorry to ask such a dim question but what is damp stretching and more specifically what's the purpose?

gunnelsvensson said...

I like when you have added black stitching to all the white, Karen!

Ulla said...

I love the cotton tape on your silk. - Kaija has chosen a wonderful piece!