For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Sunday, March 9, 2008

Frustration, annoyance, counting to ten and taking a deep breath!

As you can probably tell I am 'on one' today. I wasn't, I woke up early, refreshed and full of the joys of spring with big plans for the day. I even did some housework first thing....yes, you read that right, housework. I can proudly claim to have the cleanest, tidiest kitchen cupboards in the whole of East Lancashire, if not the whole of the whole of Lancashire. Then I started this, I kid you not, FIFTEEN attempts before my images would upload. As if I needed that. Plenty of deep breaths and one satsuma later and hurray, here we are.
I was feeling slightly dumb, stupid and inadequate before all this anyway. My 'wrapping cloths' as you know are the love of my life. They are 'me'. I put so much of myself into each one and get so much pleasure in their making that I was thinking, does making stuff for etsy detract from who I am? Don't get me wrong I love to embroider, whatever I make, but my cloths are the integral part of my practice. I keep reminding myself of what I was told at Uni, you need to make small things, bread and butter things. I don't really know the point of this rambling, but I feel like this sometimes, give myself a good talking to and hey presto, back to being o.k. again. Yet again though I find myself waiting for thread to be delivered. I think the problem there is that I hadn't initially intended to edge my applique with silk but now I have started to do that and love the way it looks I need more thread to continue. Fingers crossed it should be here in a day or so and I do have to smock in the meantime. I hope to have images of that for my next post.
I have been working on something new for etsy while part of my cloth has been damp stretching. Do you remember these?
Well I have made some more with different surface patterning which are going to be part of something bigger. I don't mean to be mysterious but I always worry incase it doesn't work out. You will definitely be the first to know when it is finished. I am also planning on making more purses as the last ones were such a hit. Again, I will keep you posted.







Sorry if I have sounded a bit tetchy today. I am going to claim an artistic temprement! And the lucky two who won the pincushions, they are on there way as we speak.



1 comment:

Ulla said...

Oh Karen, you could really have needed on-line tutoring with the uploading! The new funky puffs look lovely.