For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Thursday, February 14, 2008

I have been so busy these past couple of weeks that I have sadly neglected my housewifely duties! I thought it was about time I re-introduced myself to the concept of housework, so I cleaned my living room window,


Then I cleaned my kitchen window.


Then I lost all motivation and returned to my embroidery! (don't think I will ever be named domestic goddess of the year) I have started a new cloth for the exhibition in April (more on that another day) but I am also conscious that if I want to make a success of etsy I need to keep going on a smaller scale with things for there.




These are going to be small embroidered pieces for the shop. I call them embroidered scraps. The lace pieces you can see in the work are 'scraps' of vintage cloth. Allthough they can go in a frame I also like to think that someone would use these little compositions in their own work, in part of a patchwork perhaps, or appliqued onto the surface of their own embroidery.
Also check out my link list, I have added a few more great blogs.
A happy Valentines Day to you all.xxx

7 comments:

Needles said...

Domestic un-goddesses unite! There are just too many fine things to do instead of housework. I've always wanted a self cleaning house (Like a self cleaning oven, you turn on the heat and it just does it, or with water - I'm not picky)

I absolutely held my breath when I realized that the tiny little thing in the second photo bacame the lovely third! Very fine.

jill said...

I love the shop and can't wait to see the exhibition tomorrow. You know what my thoughts are an domesticity are, one word, why? Also looking forward to payday so I can buy something

Ulla said...

My mother has given me a very good piece of advice concerning domestic duties: you need to follow your calling. Only take the vacuum cleaner to work when the dust in the corners is calling you to do so. Same goes with windows. And two windows on one day is more than enough;)

Anonymous said...

never mind the housework! understand your mother is a domestic goddess anyway!ps love the work

Needles said...

Come to think of it, my dust has never spoken to me, only string things speak to me besides people and cats. Which probably explains my study.

Karen thanks for those links. How did they find my house for the picture, and all that lovely yarn. There are a couple of sellers that we don't see here.

gunnelsvensson said...

so much beautiful embroidery!

Anonymous said...

hi so you do cook after all! did you use all of the peppers? the wrapping cloths are very inspiring,