For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Saturday, February 9, 2008

Another award, problem solved...(hopefully) and shop update

I am a lucky lady indeed as Ulla from kotkaranki has given me another 'you make my day' award! I am truly flattered but if it is o.k with her I am going to think about this one a little longer as I gave SEVEN yesterday and don't want to waste it by gifting it in a hurry.
On another topic, remember my post about the dilema I had regarding how to display my work at the upcoming exhibition? I had thought that I would have to pull out as I absolutely do not want to hang my work flat against a wall, this would negate their domestic, wrapping reference and remove all the emotion I have put into them. So I have arrived at a solution which makes me happy and which I hope will meet the needs of the gallery.
I have stitched one of these to the corner at the back of each piece,



made three of these,




so now each piece can hang from the corner like a domestic cloth. Like this,

this,

and this. Phew....what a relief!


I have also been busy working on something new for the shop which I hope to re-open on wedenesday. Here is a sneaky peek for you!





2 comments:

jill said...

the hangings look good and I am sure it will satisfy the exhibition. The sneak peek looks very exciting and I can't wait to see it in full. There is a lot of work in it. I like the clasp also.

Ulla said...

The hangings look safe for you and I'm sure the cloths will look fine at the exhibition.
As for the award, take all the time you need. I just had to combine your's and Kaija's award and give only five.
I wish you good success at the exhibition!