For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Wednesday, January 30, 2008

It's Here!

Fantastic! My thread has arrived. I am so relieved, now it is full steam ahead completeing the latest cloth. I really must get it finished because it needs to be delivered to the gallery for the exhibition in about 10 days, so if I go missing I am sewing my fingers to the bone and burning the midnight oil!



Whilst I was there collecting my thread I also bought two metres of 100% silk. That always makes me so excited, I get butterflies when I buy silk (in the way some peole do when they see their favourite most handsome celeb!) Actually, the same butterflies I would most likely get if I was ever to come face to face with Robbie Willaims. In the absence of Robbie however, 100% silk does it every time.



I have also made a decision about the shop. I am going to try etsy again, as soon as the cloth is finished, etsy will be re-opened with my brooches and a few other small things I have in mind. More of that another time.

2 comments:

syko kajsa said...

I once bought a box full of silk scraps from a Swedish silk retail company. I could sit and just look at them for hours... The best part of sewing is getting to use all the wonderful materials I think. Linen must be my favourite.

Good luck withe exhibition and shop!

Needles said...

Oh, my yes. It's all about how fibre feels as it runs through my fingers.

I saw another online selling location, though these guys according to my friend are more of a hosting service. You still have to promote your stuff yourself. For what it's worth, bigcartel.com