For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Saturday, January 5, 2008


I am now on the next stage of my cloth, sewing the hexagons of cutwork and text together. I have worked out that I will need 112 hexagons, all joined for the first section, fewer for the second section as they are going to be joined by a buttoned pocket containing a quote from one of my essays. This part of the process is going to take a while, I am having such a good time though, I love this slow repetitve method of hand embroidery, it just feels right, natural.

I took my christmas trees down today, what a job, and the cleaning I had to do afterwards, anyway it's another step nearer normality. I miss the lights though, so I now have little tea lights burning all over the house, very relaxing and comforting.










1 comment:

jill said...

This work is stunning, I love how you calculate how many blocks are needed, I think I may do this for my patchwork which has been going on forever, it may motivate me to finish it if I know how many and when i can have it finished by. I like the tealight and am just about to light mine although they are just plain glass. Anyway people keep telling me they are pleased christmas is over and I also read it in your comments due to the disruption it causes, well I love it and can't wait for December 25th again, in fact it is only 354 days away and counting and we have all those wonderful adventures between now and then. I can't wait.