For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Thursday, January 10, 2008

Hi again. I am sorry if I am boring you all but I am still on the hexagons.........told you these things take an age to make, and don't forget I was also distracted with my shop / website problem. Regarding that I would like to thank, thank, thank, the lovely Camilla and the equally lovely Ellia . Apart from the comments they left here they have both been amazingly helpfull on the e-mail front. As a result I will shortly be starting a major push on the shop , and I am having a long think about re-launching etsy. Anyway back to the cloth business, I hope to have all my hexagons joined before the weekend is over and then I have to make a further decision on how to embellish the patchwork, which pattern, which colours, how do I finish the edge. That led to me looking at my samples today to get ideas. I already know that I will hand finish the seams with running stitch, As soon as I saw it on this work I knew there wouldn't be indecision about that part. I ADORE RUNNING STITCH!!!
And dont be suprised to see some funky suffolk puff samples soon, to trim down one side, my brain is working overtime.





1 comment:

Shirley said...

hi karen,

just wanted to pop in and say hi. i just found your blog from a blog from another blog. haha. i tend to get "lost" after a while from all of this blog hopping.

anyway, i really love and admire your work. it has renewed an interest in embroidery. never much of an embroiderer myself, but i once embroidered a handkerchief for a friend as a younger child and seeing your more refined and professional work makes me want to learn it too!

but that shall have to wait. meanwhile, i'm still trying to perfect all the other crafts i have picked up over the years.

i'll have to find your blog again.

shirley