For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Tuesday, December 4, 2007





On another subject, I have been making more samples this week. Surface pattern on my wrapping cloths was mainly concerned with text and patterning found on vintage tablecloths and runners with a small amount of detail taken from vintage lace. I am now however looking solely at patterns in vintage lace and transferring these to fabric with hand embroidery. I will also probably include some text in there as It is a huge part of what I do, but I shall mainly go where the sampling leads!!



I then found this chap inside along with a lovely hand made table runner, Thankyou Nan!





Got this fabulous package in the post today from my holiday swap partner, Nan, in USA. I was so careful opening the box as I didn't want to damage it, I will be keeping that to store some things in! Everything was so beautifully wrapped. I love the red and white ribbon,

No comments: