For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Friday, December 28, 2007





My christmas guests have gone home now, part of me is relieved it's all over but mostly I know I am going to miss Helen so much. She now lives so far away, about 4 hours drive that I don't see her as much as I would like but I do plan to go down in Februaury so I have that to look forward to.

It's now time to start cleaning up, changing beds, finding a home for all the wonderful gifts I received and paperwork, ugh, dreaded paperwork. I need to fill in forms, take photo's and provide a biography for my Craft Guild membership, thats my evening sorted out!

As promised here is an update on my next cloth. The embroidered text has been damp stretched. Now I have to cut all my templates, cut up the cloth and make my patchwork pieces. I am not sure what direction this is going to take after I have completed that process allthough I am drawn to cutwork with vintage cloth laid at the back. I also have a 'you make my day' award to pass on, don't know if I will manage 10 people but I am thinking about it and that will be posted soon.

2 comments:

Francesca said...

thanks for your sweet comment karen, have a very happy new year.
and these wraps are really beautiful by the way.

greenbean art said...

as i've probably said before, i think either place you sell, it will require some advertising to get out there... however, i will be making a post within the next week about [my opinion] selling successfully on etsy [or otherwise].... much of it is about networking and getting people to at least check out your goods :)... did i give you mimi kirchner's link?! you could always email people like her and ask them their thoughts on how to sell your sort of work and the price that it's worth... she enters a lot of shows and i think it helps.... she is super sweet :) sorry if this is a repetitive comment!

hugs and best wishes