For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Hi!! I hope you have all had a wonderful christmas! It's been lovely here, hectic but lovely. Helen is home from London, James is home from university and my parents came for christmas lunch. I have to admit though that I felt slightly liberated tonight when I put the turkey carcass in the rubbish, my mum would make soup, I am not a making soup kind of girl but as long as it remains in the house the spectre of the carcass that could be soup hangs over me, so it had to go!!
This evening has been a welcome rest, empty house all to myself, husband at work, offspring out and some much needed therepeutic embroidery completed, more on that tommorrow. Instead I am going to show you this wonderful gift I got from my youngest brother. It's a first edition presentation set of stamps from the Swedish post office along with another set of the actual stamps. They tell the story of Swedish fashion design, I think the illustrations are beautiful and feel really lucky to have received such an unusual, special gift.








2 comments:

gunnelsvensson said...

Wow, Karen! I have newer seen these stamps here in Sweden?!! I really like stamps, they are like a smallpiece of art!

jill said...

I love the stamps, what a lucky girl you are