For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Sunday, December 30, 2007

Cloth progress and more christmas gifts!!

Look at what else I got for christmas. The beautiful vintage lace cloth is off my friend Elaine and Jill got me this knitting doll which took me way back to my childhood! Maybe that's what started my obsession, I am a very lucky lady indeed.



Well the new wrapping cloth is progressing, although somewhat slower than I would like. I am still trying to get straight after my visitors have gone and all the festivities are over and it seems I am constantly being distracted by the washing machine, or a speck of dust, or someone wanting to be fed. It's four years now since I asked santa for a butler, I don't think he's listening!!

As you can see though, my text is damp stretched and cut up, rendering it unreadable.....but I know what it says! I have also managed to sew all my pieces to card ready for when the next piece of cloth is ready. I have decided to go with cutwork and vintage cloth and will show that soon I promise.










No comments: