For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Friday, November 2, 2007





I have been working with my pleating machine today. It does such wonderful things to your fabric. I haven't used it since I was getting ready for new designers so it was good to get back to it. I am playing with it at the moment, sampling for some new ideas I have. The different effects you can achieve are shown here. One is a sample(another idea maybe) and the other is a finished 'wrapping cloth' currently for sale on my website. It is easier to use if there are two of you, one to feed the fabric through, the other to turn the handles, but I had to manage on my own today and ruined a couple of needles!! When I have decided on my new piece I shall post it here so keep checking back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BELLOS TRABAJOS ME ENCANTAN LOS BORDADO.TU PAGINA GENIAL ,CREATIVA.SALUDOS