For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Thursday, November 8, 2007





I have been looking through some old samples today, trying to spur myself on with my next wraping cloth. I have mainly been looking at the surface pattern I have used in the past thinking about how I can move it forward. Sampling before beginning a new big piece is a time consuming exercise but is really enjoyable and as a bonus you end up wih lots of little pieces of work which are lovely to look at again and again. On another note I am going to complain about the lack of anywhere to buy trimmings!! I went to Manchester yesterday...nowhere! I then went to my usual haberdashery shop today and couldn't find what I wanted. Maybe I am getting fussier I dont know but fingers crossed I can find something at the knitting and stitching show.

No comments: