For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Sunday, November 18, 2007

Crochet and Cushions





Today I have been doing something I haven't done for ages, crochet. I had forgotten how relaxing it was and how much I enjoyed doing it. Things like that got left behind whilst I was doing my degree and PGCE so it was great to get back to it. For some reason I am on a cushion mission! I am making them for myself and really enjoying it, there are already more cushions than humans in this house, more cushions than seats actually! Thats including the ones I bought at IKEA in Sweden when I was there this year, never mind that you can buy them over here, mine are more authentic because thay came back on a flight with me from Stockholm! Hopefully I will have pics of my finished crochet masterpiece tommorrow!

No comments: