For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Monday, October 22, 2007



We had such a good weekend with everyone here, Helen, James and Richard. I had bought gifts for Helen and Richard for their new house and it was great that they were so pleased with everything. I was extra excited because I had made this doll for Helen ages ago and hadn't told her because I wanted it to be a suprise. I was also a bit uneasy because as you can see it isn't a conventional doll. It was important to me that it was unique, and I wondered if she would truly like it! I needn't have worried because she adores it. Before cutting out the pattern pieces I embroidered her full name onto a large piece of silk dupion, repeating it until the cloth was completely covered, this was then cut up and reassembled to make the doll. It has no face as I would like her to give it a personal face in her imagination, it can be who she wants it to be.

If you have ever visited my webpage and read about my wrapping cloths you will understand my compulsion to distort and manipulate text, have a look, the link is on the right. I would love to know your opinion on the doll, please leave a comment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the doll is brilliant. I know how many hours you put into this work and I hope it is passed down the family for generations to come.

Lovely work Karen