For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Friday, October 19, 2007


image copywright Karen Harbour 2007

Following on from yesterdays post, where I was complaining about my lack of cad, painting and drawing skills, I got an e-mail today from my friend Karen who has wonderful talents in all three. I have posted some of her latest work here for you to get a sense of what I wish I could do. Also check out her website http://www.harbourart.co.uk/art/html/main.htm and let me know what you think. The images here are cad and when we were doing our degree together her design sheets were to die for. She tells me that others probably wish they had my embroidery skill and I do appreciate that, but there is a very frustrated illustrator inside me! Anyway after chatting to her earlier I am inspired to start a design sheet, (painted) and will let you know how I am getting on.I may not post again now until monday as the whole family is coming this weekend. I am very excited!!!


Oh, and I am not over England yet.

No comments: