For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Thursday, October 25, 2007






I have just finished another reclaimed cloth which has gone on the website. I used tiny patchwork squares to repair the lace edge. There are some pics here of the initial embroidery of the squares, and some after they wre cut up before tacking onto the templates. There are also a couple of pics of the finished item.



It's a busy house here today. I have lots of bright cheery haberdashery ready for a new project. I thought it would be nice to make some haberdashery collage, this may lead to other things,haberdashery cards, haberdashery tags, who knows. In case you are wondering I am delaying the dreaded design sheet. I am sure there are people out there who, like me, panic at the sight of a blank sheet of paper. Why is it then that a fresh, crisp, 'blank' piece of fabric induces excitement? Answers please!!

No comments: