For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Wednesday, October 24, 2007



Got these lovely buttons in the post from Bev today. They are made from collaged vintage dress making patterns. We had the conversation ages ago about experimenting with this idea and she is way ahead of me! I have got as far as collaging my paper! I have so many ideas going round, I am still desperate to start the design sheet I mentioned a few days ago and promise I will get my pencils and paints out really soon. I also want to show you a few pages from my favourite embroidery book, that should be posted before the day is out!

No comments: