For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Friday, July 20, 2018

12 months of embroidery


I am very excited about this......a full year of embroidery, of stitched papers, of embellished cloth, beads, ribbons, buttons, sequins.
To register go here.
12 month stitch along
A live blog running from September 1 2018 through to September 1 2019.
I speak about my online classes and creative life in a podcast recorded recently with 'stitchery stories'. You can listen to that here.
Online format.... Private password protected blog.
No deadlines. No set tasks. Lifetime access to all resources.
Staged payments accepted. Please contact me for details.
This online learning programme is born from the success and popularity of previous 'fly on the wall' classes.
Join me for 12 months of creativity, a unique fly on the wall experience. Observe my process, my day to day, my working practice over a full year. Who knows what will crop up, what will inspire and develop over this programme. We begin with a blank page of time and fill that page, that time developing embroidered works on paper and fabric.
There may be artist books, there may be delicately embroidered laces along with decorative silk surfaces.
There will definitely be buttons, ribbons, sequins, beads and all manner of added titivation.
Posting once every fortnight I will demonstraste my working processes, discuss my ideas and inspirations and develop various piece of work which result from explorations demonstrated in class.
Group interaction will be facilitated within the forum of a private Flickr group where it will be possible to upload images and receive feedback and encouragement from the wider group along with input from me. There will also be the opportunity for wider discussion within the ''discussion'' area of that group. Interaction in this manner is however voluntary. There is no pressure on you to participate within this forum. If you prefer to work quietly, on your own that is encouraged too. My wish is for you to use this learning experience in the manner best suited to you, to learn in a way which makes you happy and furthers your individual creativity.
Please note, certain tasks within this programme require the use of a sewing machine.
Access.... Unlimited. Forever.
Materials required.... List sent upon registration.
***No prerequisites, suitable for beginners and the more experienced.***

No comments: