For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Sunday, April 10, 2016

little bags of titivations





In addition to having lace cloth coming out of my ears I also have a titivation production line going on. Suffolk puffs, fabric beads (padded puffs) and other such things for adorning edges and surfaces are being created in abundance. I'm thinking little bags of mixed things, a combination, flat and padded.......like little bags of sweeties or candy. 
There was a point in time last week when I thought I was going to lose it, to become so stressed that I couldn't go on. That has passed, calmness has descended again and although my ''to do'' list remains long it's not unachievable. My days from now until next Sunday...flight time 9.30 am.....will be filled with finishing touches, labelling, packaging, packing boxes to pack into suitcases. I will not be making any more ''large';' pieces such as pockets or wraps or pillows, there's no time left, it's the little things which I need to attend to now.
Yesterday was a ''day off'' of sorts. Thanks so much for all James happy birthday love. I think he had a good day??? We went to Manchester to eat and I left him there with his dad so they could go and see a band and do other manly things....I drove home through snow, yes snow. I wasn't expecting that. 
The video below is a brief overview of my new class ''stitching a story'',  first posted on here a couple of weeks ago. I will be closing the shop before I go away and will re open it on April 25.
- See more at: http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/#sthash.lN92CN7g.dpuf



No comments: