For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Saturday, April 2, 2016

five out of twenty






I'm spending a lot of time doing this at the moment. I need twenty pieces of lace cloth for my workshops in France. There are five here but since I took these pictures the number is up to seven. It's doable, fourteen days before I leave. No problem, a couple of night shifts and we're good to go.
I have to go out today......but when I get back I will work on these little books some more, five pages? Five pages to match the five pieces of lace on here....


DSCN4130

Read about my new class here....stitch and books and all things embroidery. - See more at: http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/#sthash.ttOCbdmK.dpuf

No comments: