For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Saturday, April 26, 2014

compare











There are three pieces here, one new, two not new. The new piece is the white with piping cord......with bullion knots binding the piping. I don't know yet what it will be but it's enough for now just to play with it, titivate it. The other two pieces were on the table, for a reason, a ''refreshing my memory'' task, a reminder of what can be done, which surfaces can be created.
I love all these images today, I probably couldn't  pick a favourite........good thing i don't need to.
Don't forget Alchemy registration closes tomorrow.
SS4 girls, I have video for you tomorrow....a final flourish before I abandon you and leave for the big smoke.
 To be honest I think this break will be good for me. Yesterday it was cream, today the cabinet has fallen off my bathroom wall. I have no explanation, nobody in the bathroom, alerted by the crashing. It's time to go away.



5 comments:

Tammie Lee said...

oh my goodness
all these glimpses of beauty
be still my beating heart

Lois Evensen said...

I just love seeing your work. Beautiful! I'm glad to see you back here on blogspot, too. :)

Hugs,
Lois

Rachel said...

Love the ladders of bullion over the cord!

Flaming Nora said...

Really enjoying these works Karen. They remind me of Edwardian ladies blouses. Have fun on your trip.

Suztats said...

So gorgeous! i do love the bullioned piping-- it looks so touchable, so 3-D........
Have a wonderful time in the big smoke!