For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Sunday, July 22, 2012

the removal men are booked....




I have been packing...in a technological sense. I am working on the typepad blog. I have signed up and I have had a good look round my new place. I still can't find where they keep the coffee and I am having trouble deciding which wallpaper I want but that's all part of it isn't it. Actually I am in danger of becoming so confused that I will never recover but I want to do it, I am determined, I will not be beaten. It will be at least two days before I actually say goodbye and don't worry...I will leave a forwarding address....
An Embroiderers Ledger finished today....allegedly. You will not be surprised to hear that one person is holding everything up...me. I get so carried away, want to do extra, more complicated stuff so on we go for another few days. I really must learn the art of restraint.
Last night I was on the computer until around 9 pm visiting my new place...I just about lost the will to live. Solution? ....embroidery of course. So I picked up my 'cameo' piece and gave it a little edge which I will show you tomorrow if I manage to get it damp stretched.

***a little update***
To answer a few queries I have been getting...I feel Typepad would give me a better platform in terms of things I may wish to add to my blog. That may not happen at first as it could take me some time to ''feel my way'' but for the long term I think it would be a good move.

14 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

It seems a great deal has been happening this week since I have been here. So, moving to your own site? Or to another blog home? I just hope I still see you here during my limited hours in port on Sundays.

Huge hugs,
Lois

Jackie said...

I thought you were moving for real then. And we haven't had coffee for ages.Why do you want to go to typepad? Is it better? Something you need to tell me about!
Lovely lovely stuff as usual. I enjoyed the last video. Never heard of being an 'Indian Giver' before.

Carol Q said...

everything you produce is so wonderfully neat Karen. never an inky finger or splodge to be seen anywhere.

debbie eaves said...

Is typepad a place where only members can view?

deanna7trees said...

typepad seems to be the place to be these days...i haven't figured out why. i'm sticking with blogger. looking forward to see your new place.

henrietta (aka ani aka zani) said...

i have to agree with deanna...sticking with blogger. i tried to have typepad as a landlord and we just couldn't seem to agree - no nails on the wall and pictures - not to mention wallpaper! well, let us know when the house warming is so i can rush over with something white. cheers.

Unknown said...

I also would like to know--Is typepad better and why? It seems like a lot of trouble to move so I guess you have a good reason. I will just sit tight. I like it here just fine.

Jeannie said...

The work you are creating lately is just so very beautiful. It reminds me of summer day in gingham and frothy skirts when I was young. I too that you were moving your home! LOL! Have a wonderful week.

stitchinglife said...

Good luck with the move!

Christine B said...

They say the three most stressful things in life are bereavement, divorce and moving house. I wonder now if moving blogspots should be the new forth!

Beautiful pages to accompany this post... stress should just melt away when working on something like this.

Rachel said...

Good luck with you technological house-move! I think the key is to do plenty of embroidery in between the technological stages!

ersimarina said...

I am right behind the movers' truck, following you all the way to Typepadland :))

Plus I just had a scare reading your entry. When you say 'one person is holding everything up...' I thought: 'Oh, my God! It's me! She lost patience and is going to report me publicly for being SO far behind in my Ledger tasks!' But phew, it wasn't me, what a huge relief!

Libby U said...

I love TypePad. I had a blog many years ago, when I had more of an interested in blogging. (it was long enough ago, they gave a month trial, instead of 2 weeks). Good luck with your move!

fabriquefantastique said...

you are here at my house....looking very spring like