For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Wednesday, July 4, 2012

hexagons....


Hexagons and embroidery, in blue for my ledger. The days are catching up on me for some reason...I am way behind in everything and I don't understand. I am busy, I'm not slacking, I never stop. I am wondering if I slept through a week or two. What to do? Keep going of course, try and get my days back. Less housework? Never a problem, a bonus in fact.
The Ledger course is popular beyond my wildest dreams. I think that has more to do with the fabulous work that is appearing on flickr rather than anything I have done. Requests are coming in for another one so I am pondering on that at the moment and as we haven't had a June newsletter we may have a July one with an announcement on that.
Tomorrow I am determined to back my wrapping cloth...nothing will stop me....there will be a video for my May girls and some pictures for you soon after. Watch this space.

11 comments:

deanna7trees said...

love the textured background on the hexagons. time is a problem isn't it. i've just dropped my lace class on tuesdays to try and capture more time.

Jane said...

The fabric page is an amazing surface, can't wait to have a go

Carol Q said...

how beautiful and delicate Karen.

Elizabeth said...

Oh Karen you have some very, sorry I mean VERY talented girls to participate in your course. Love the work you all do and share it with the rest of us who only drool.

Enjoy yourself and don't fuss too much over the newsletter, I'd rather drool a bit more! :))

Suztats said...

very nice! Just popped over to see your student' work-- Fab!

barbara l. hale said...

Now you're speaking my language. I love blue and white! Beautiful stuff!!

Christine B said...

I agree with Deanna7trees - time is a problem! I was away last weekend on a brilliant two day Kantha workshop, the continuation of which I have now shelved so I can continue with this fabulous leger course. Photos like this - little peaks of what is to come - fill me with excitement and serve as a great prod to keep me going. In fact.. why am I even sitting at the computer? I'm off to stitch!

Rachel said...

Love the contrast between the sparsely ornamented hexagons and the overall texture of the band of fabric!

Tina said...

Karen!

I love the blue (but you knew I would) and the and the journal is wonderful. I do understand being so far behind-I bet you are really nto that "far behind" anyway-you just feel that way. Really nice-missing you guys in class!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Blue and white - so perfect together and one of my favourite colour combos. Be sure you're stopping to breathe Karen!

Anonymous said...

I do SO LOVE these hexagons and the strong blue!