For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Sunday, July 8, 2012

extending ledgers



I'm titivating my ledger. Adding words and embroidery, adding pages. I'm having fun...I hope the class is having fun too. They are certainly working hard. The proof is here.....
I can no longer ignore the ironing pile...that's my afternoon sorted then.


7 comments:

deanna7trees said...

oh...i know i'm having fun.

Rachel said...

I've found several blogs describing a little of what they've done on the course and they all seem to be loving it!

Jane said...

so am I, and my ironing is done!

My Creative House said...

Karen it's so inspiring to visit your blog I was stuck with extending embellishment workshop and has taken a break, but to visit your blog has made that I have started again, hope to participate in An embroiderers ledger if it comes again, your work is so wonderful and I love what you're doing.
Anni

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

Working hard, having fun, really surprising myself ... but slow and therefore behind! I haven't looked at the most recent videos yet ... I take it this is what's in store! Yummy!
Must dash - in the middle of damp stretching!!!

Carol Q said...

scrumptious as usual Karen - always love your stitching on paper.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Yummy! I'm having so much fun in the class - behind, but having fun. Overcoming a lot of mental obstacles too. Have to say that if anyone is contemplating taking one of your classes that they should do so because they're in for a treat!