For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Tuesday, July 10, 2012

bullions.....



Proof!!! Proof that I am doing embroidery, it's not all about paper, paint and pencil. Ta Da!! I give you bullion knots, wrapped to within an inch of their lives bullion knots. I get so carried away with these, when I start I think ''I will have 8 wraps'', then I get to 8 and think ''just a few more'' and very often end up with 30. They look like worms or spaghetti maybe. Whatever they look like it's amazing to run your (clean) fingers over them.
Next time you see these you won't recognise them so have a good look. I have a plan you see.....


14 comments:

Rachel said...

Love your textural bullion knots - what a wonderful tangle they produce!

Jane said...

I like the french knots nestled in between

Joanna said...

I have a feeling you wouldn't let me within a mile of your work and rightly so. Gardening hands is all I shall say!

Tina said...

The suspense is killing me! Love these Bullion knots-I am really going to have to try making these!

Beautiful as always!

Annet said...

Love your bullion spaghetti!

deanna7trees said...

one thing leads to another doesn't it. need to get back to bullion knots before i forget how to do them. yours are beautiful.

ersimarina said...

Karen's Bullion Dish! I never tire of seeing your knots, be they eight or eighty :)

Carol Q said...

hmmm, there must be a collective noun for a shedload of bullions, a bazillion of bullions? they look gorgeous and tangled Karen

barbara l. hale said...

Those are some cool bullion knots!

Tammie Lee said...

lovely and fun

eva a(r)t work said...

Again: my comment seems to been dissolved into the thin air of the world wide web:
Great texture, Karen!
BUT: my eyes were caught by the delicate texture in the background. Is it lace or did you stitch it too?
eva

Suztats said...

Beautiful bullions! I wonder what you'll be doing with them.
Love the lacy bit background, too!

Christine B said...

Is it a cunning plan?? Love those curly bullions... like worm casts on a sandy beach.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Thirty wraps?? Oh my. I thought I was doing well at 5 or 6!! Can't wait to see what you're planning....