For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Saturday, May 5, 2012

quiet.....


spending a quiet weekend with sketchbooks for inspiration and cloth to embroider..... 

12 comments:

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

A very nice way to spend a rainy weekend. Looks like those window boxes will have to wait a little while. Don't know about you, but it's brass monkey weather down here.

Oh, I do love your sketchbooks. Do a course!!!!!! I will join!

Jane said...

Enjoy it

Unknown said...

And your eye? Is it better?

deanna7trees said...

i love the little sketchbook i purchased a while back that is embellished with family photos. i look at it in quiet moments.

Iceni UK said...

Enjoy your weekend Karen, I hope that your eye is much better now.
It is very cold here and raining.
I am sewing a small piece of crewel embroidery and Chris is watching the football. :) :)
take care
hugs

Tammie Lee said...

sounds like a wonderful time to spend a weekend. your photograph and sketch book is lovely to see.

connie said...

Sounds perfect to me! I love your sketchbooks. Selling more raffle tickets for the quilt I hope you are going to win. :-)... Enjoy your weekend.

Lois Evensen said...

It's rainy and overcast here, too. My Honey has been in his workshop making more pens for the shop. I've been trying to finish a sweater I've been working on for about three weeks. I would love to get it photographed and in the shop. :)

Happy Weekend!

Lois

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Hope you're enjoying your quiet time and letting your eye have a chance to heal. We'll be here when you feel up to it.

stitchinglife said...

Lovely. Enjoy!

Rachel said...

Certainly they look inspiring. What will they inspire you to do, I wonder?

Yvonne Moxon said...

beautiful....Im wondering too where it will all lead