For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Friday, May 11, 2012

prairie points, triple seam





More work on my white cloth for embroidery school....time consuming. Five prairie points and three layers of stitch resulting in a very lovely, (if I am allowed to say that myself?) edge for a section of my cloth. Time consuming doesn't equal bad however, it equals special, unique and worth it....there is a row of running stitch which is performing the important function of holding all these layers together. The triple seam is formed by a row of web stitch, a row of bullion knots and another row of web stitch.
I haven't decided what comes next...there are rouleau loops peeking out here which demand the same attention.

9 comments:

Tammie Lee said...

gorgeous prairie points and all your lovely stitches. a delight for my eyes.

deanna7trees said...

it is important to know that your work is lovely and beautiful so glad to hear you say it. love how you patterned the bullion stitches and the webs.

Jane said...

Stunning! The prairie points and loops are wonderful together

Elizabeth said...

Who cares that it is time consuming when it looks this stunning!

Rachel said...

You can indeed say that the edges are lovely - they are!

Suztats said...

Time is for creating the unique! Gorgeous!

Linda Carole Bloom said...

I love this triple seam!! I have my latest section posted now and am working on the next one. I'm trying some needle weaving on the next one - I need some practice on that one. I'm also working with some cheesecloth and have made the tucked squares.

Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous and it's fine to say your work is lovely. I don't think we do enough of that. The expectation of society is always to hold back - be 'modest'. But I think it's important we recognise when we do something special and can be allowed to say so without having to worry about being thought 'bigheaded'. It's lovely - it's a fact!!!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm so happy to see you thrilled with your own work - it's the way it should be. We've always been taught to brush aside our feelings in the interest (?!) of appearing modest, and that's just not a good thing.