For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Sunday, May 27, 2012

in the evenings I embroider.....







Embroidery takes place in the evening as the daytime is chaotic. Books strewn everywhere, sketchbooks and samples. When I embroider I like to think I am serene and calm...not during the day....
I am working on some new designs, not necessarily inspired by these 'old' designs but there is a link in terms of presentation and approach.
My new work cannot be revealed yet...it is for my new class, 'an embroiderers ledger' for which mails have yet to be prepared, blurb has yet to be created. I am hoping to make huge strides with that later today but perhaps I should tidy up first.

13 comments:

deanna7trees said...

sounds interesting. i am attracted to that itty bitty booklet.

Unknown said...

That would make a good "round Robin" sort of thing.

In the evening I______________.

Jane said...

oooh, sounds interesting

henrietta (aka ani aka zani) said...

aye, but it's a lovely mess...and interest is peaked and brewing for the yet to be reviewed. cheers.

Rachel said...

There's a fine line between being tidy enough to see what you're doing and messy enough to be creative!

Lois Evensen said...

What a beautiful way to relax. Yes, much of my needlework is done in the evenings. Such a nice time of the day to pause and reflect while my hands are busy. :)

Tammie Lee said...

wonderful to see your idea books

Felicity said...

oh!!! embroider's ledger sounds so enticing!

Elizabeth said...

Great pictures from your chaos.

Flaming Nora said...

You have my attention!

stitchinglife said...

Looking good

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

Aha! I am liking the sound of your new class! Also loving the sketches and bits and pieces. I note in particular the nine patch block, which I am of course by now able to deconstruct within .1 of a second of first sighting!

I just had to add, though... FRAGRANT. I always understood that when you stitch you are 'serene and fragrant'.

XX

Magpie's Mumblings said...

hmmmm - an embroiders ledger - sounds intriguing!