For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Wednesday, April 11, 2012

trying to keep up.....





Whilst I am cracking the whip and handing out detentions left right and centre over in school I am busily failing to keep up myself....oops! Here's proof  that I am trying though. This is a piece I am creating alongside the work my girls are doing. They get blow by blow updates, video and chat. We are supposed to finish on Friday...not a chance. I am rubbish at deadlines in case you hadn't figured that out yet. Doesn't this always happen? I have another piece on the go too....stitching my fingers to the bone on an edge, burning the midnight oil. I couldn't work any faster if I tried. What to do? Stop having so much fun....that would be a good place to start....

p.s......awful dirty looking pictures.....grovelling apology....

10 comments:

deanna7trees said...

love those open, webbed areas.

Jane said...

Just carry on having fun, every one else is. The woven pieces should look good with the blue behind

Iceni UK said...

The scrim openwork is a brilliant way to create a lightness into a piece of work. Love all the swiggly bulllions and all those french knots.

Unknown said...

I think we are only at the beginning! There is no real deadline is there? We will just go on and on. I can't think that it will be over on Friday. I won't know what to do! We just have to go on and on.

Suztats said...

Love the open bits, and the fact they look random rather than rigid, and planned, and even.......

Linda Carole Bloom said...

Don't worry Karen, we are still here! I like the wrapping - going to try some of that maybe tomorrow - I have commissions for 3 flower girl dresses - so I'm making them now, then will continue with the class fun - still working on my wrapping cloth BUT am adding some ideas from this class! Keep on keeping on! Love, Linda

Rosa said...

Cracking whips and handing out detentions sounds like fun;-)
Why stop?
I'm sure the students love it when it comes from you *lol*

Katie said...

I am so looking forward to learning from you in May! All of this eye candy is so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

That webby effect is interesting...
And btw, on my screen the photos don't look at all grubby!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm sure the students are quaking in their boots if you're cracking the whip! (btw - I really hope you will offer this class again later on when I might have more time to play along). These bits you are showing are ever so intriguing!