For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Wednesday, April 25, 2012

books


You may have noticed that I have been pondering sketchbooks lately. Well as you know I am off on a little trip imminently but I wanted to say that when I get back I will dedicate a whole page on here to sketchbooks, bring all the video together, make new videos of as yet unseen sketchbooks. How does that sound?
Meantime there is a little video here for you to browse. Some of you may have seen it already...in that case just turn off. If you haven't then enjoy...and be good whilst I am gone.....



external link

10 comments:

deanna7trees said...

nice ideas for a color study. enjoy your trip.

henrietta (aka ani aka zani) said...

yes, this is one of my favorite videos of your's karen. it will be grand to have "books" under a separate header...perhaps the beginnings of a sketchbook class...i've hinted before and you were kind enough to answer but maybe a brighter spark will light up. enjoy your away time. ta.

Peggy Holt said...

I always enjoy your books, Karen. They inspire me to peruse my own, and remind myself of some of the work I wanted to pursue.

Have a lovely Birthday bash, and I will be watching for your return with stories to tell.

Carol Q said...

love this Karen. it's a piece of art in itself.

Rachel said...

Enjoy your trip!

Helena said...

I'm glad to hear from you. Kisses, kisses.

stitchinglife said...

Have a lovely time. A page of sketchbooks sounds good. Might even steal the idea :-)

barbara l. hale said...

I sure enjoy your tours through your sketch books.

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

I am a big fan of your sketchbooks Karen. I think I've seen this one before, but it was lovely to see it again. I really want to have a go at this.
Wishing you a lovely weekend!
x

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Be sure to have a piece of cake for me (since I'm on a gluten-free test diet at the moment and can't join you...boo).