For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Thursday, April 12, 2012

another hoop....





Hoops....where would we be without them. More specifically where would I be without them, nowhere is the answer. Without them I wouldn't be able to embroider and this blog would basically be about nothing. Some might say it's already about nothing but at least there are pictures to look at....
I cannot believe how long this piece is taking me,,,,I will have grown a beard before it's finished. Good job I like it then....








13 comments:

deanna7trees said...

beautiful stitched lines and trails...an embroidery map of sorts.

Magpies Laundry said...

Gorgeous! I love this - so fragile & ethereal.

Unknown said...

Looking beautiful! I am anxious to start on my small piece, but didn't get to it last night....

Jane said...

Oh wow! That stitching is wonderful, not surprised it's taking time. Love it

Rachel said...

Interesting webby bark-effect, there. I never know what I'm going to find next when I visit!

Rosa said...

I am still practicing embroidering with hoops. The small ones I like the best - not heavy or 'wobbly' with arthritic hands:-)
That image in my brain of you growing a beard... is rather disturbing *lol*

Annet said...

Wow,this is such delicate embroidery! I can imagine it's fun to see the fabric change with every stitch you make.

Carol Q said...

love that Karen. just beautiful

Yvonne Moxon said...

Oh it makes me want to have a go!
beautiful work indeed. But I just keep starting more projects all the time, need to get a hoop out soon....your work is very inspiring as always x

Suztats said...

Love the airy bits, the bullions--you are the Bullion Quee!

Jacky said...

So delicate and fragile looking...you are amazing Karen!

Jacky xox

sharon young said...

Wow! What a delight, the last pic is totally stunning, I love the uniqueness of your work and the fact that you come up with something different on every post, yet it 's within the same discipline, magic!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Out of curiosity - have you tried using the plastic hoops? They seem to be about all I can find lately. Any wooden ones in the stores are horrible; wonky and filled with slivers.