For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Sunday, March 18, 2012

hoops





There are hoops everywhere...each of them containing different work...hoops coming out of my ears or at least it feels that way! There are hoops I can't show you yet, hoops that will need to be finished so something else can go in there, all of it work in progress for a collection that is building daily. I have pictures of the collection ''so far''...they are for tomorrow....



13 comments:

deanna7trees said...

i never thought all the hoops i've collected through the years would come in handy but i'm sure using lots of them now. they all serve a different purpose. loving that first image with the needle weaving on the scrim.

Rachel said...

You're certainly keeping yourself at it. It's good to know one can never have too many embroidery hoops...

Annet said...

Love the embroidery on the scrim. I have some in my stash, but I'm not brave enough yet to give it a try! Thanks for sharing so much eye candy!

Jane said...

I'm waiting for more hoops to arrive, lol. Love the bars on the scrim

Yvonne Moxon said...

Oh I love to pop overans see the new things that build up in your hoops Karen,so beautiful and always so full of inspiration
Yvonne x

dandelion said...

I love the all the gauzy pieces you've been doing. And I double love the idea of putting them into a book. My friend has a beautiful diary of her grandmother's that is full of daily sketches. I love the idea of the same kind of thing but stitches and scraps
x

Elizabeth said...

Enjoy your hoop-time, :))

Lois Evensen said...

You always have so many beautiful things going at the same time! :)

Sunday hugs,
Lois

Suztats said...

Crazy loving what's in those hoops! The 2nd and 3rd pics remind me of a lacy web of soap bubbles forming on your white fabric....some are growing, ready to burst, and others have popped, their white contents spewing over the white cloth creating yet more bubbles growing......fascinating!

Ijeoma said...

Amazing work as always Karen! Good to see that some things haven't changed since I've been away :)

How are you darling? How's it all going? I want to know all the exciting stuff I've missed!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Ijeoma.
x

sharon young said...

Wow this looks really exciting, I adore the scrim sample. Are we going to see you in a solo exhibition with all this work, that would be wonderful.

DIAN said...

Beautiful.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I went looking for a couple of new hoops - and the ones in stores are nothing but garbage. Even wrapping them in tape wouldn't make them fit for use. How I wish I had inherited the ones my grandmother had!