For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Wednesday, February 15, 2012

embellish.....



Progress of the slow kind is being made on the work for my new class. These pieces are being picked up and given a small amount of attention when my other white piece requires more measuring or joining and there isn't either the time or the space. So it's slow yet valuable progress and it's all progression in one way or another.
My visitors have gone, insert a sad face here...yes my little girl has gone back to London. I missed her the minute she got onto the train....and on it goes until I next see her.
Anyhow...get over yourself Karen...I now have no excuse for not stitching my fingers to the bone so it's going to be full steam ahead...

15 comments:

deanna7trees said...

those little bits of needle weaving are lovely.

Flaming Nora said...

Totally agree with Deanna. The needle weaving is stunning.

Jane said...

Those were the bits that caught my attention too.

Elizabeth said...

Your work is becoming more and more precious, fragile, thin, if I just could find the right word to describe what I meant. Your work looks like a ballerine, mine is more cowboy. Do I make any sense to you or are you just falling out of your chair by this attempt of making sense of something?

Carol Q said...

ooh some wonderfully intricate work there Karen. must be very satisfying to make.

Helena said...

I'm passing by to see your work I've missed. Gorgeous, as usually. How I understand you, when you talk about your daughter. A kiss for her too.
Kisses, kisses.

Anonymous said...

So delicate and light, even the needle weaving.

Yvonne Moxon said...

As always beautiful fine perfect :)
I know how you feel every time I drop my Son at the train station and look forward to his next visit home x

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm dreading the day when our baby son (and his wife) move all the way to the other side of the country in May. Methinks there will be buckets of tears shed...however our kids must do what they must do and we have to suck it up and give them our blessing.

stitchinglife said...

I like the needle weaving too; stunning work.

Anonymous said...

More intriguing variations! It's good to have more than one project available to work on for different circumstances!

Bunty said...

This class sounds fabulous and I would have loved to join but have only recently joined your previous class and have just had virtually a week wiped out due to a family bereavement, so no sewing done. I hope to get back to it soon.

I love the idea of paper and fabric together and shall follow your photos with huge interest. Beautiful work, as always.

Barbara

Susi Bancroft said...

Dreamily exquisite as ever Karen! Spent a lovely time catching up on the flickr group for your class and looking at what friends from the button class have done - AMAZING! Thank you for linking my blog too!

Tammie Lee said...

wonderful and creative details ~

Diane Cransac said...

It is always so hard to part isn't it? I am hoping to have my son come visit this year. An ocean away is just too far!