For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Wednesday, November 16, 2011

be careful what you wish for.....

yes I know, it's a mosaic, a mosaic of old stuff...thing is I don't have any new stuff to show you yet...I'm slacking, neglecting my embroidery duties because of jet lag, dirty washing and most importantly due to the fact that I don't even know my own name never mind what day it is, what century even.
I do have something for you though....holiday pictures....lots of them. I am one of those boring people who sends you to sleep with their holiday snaps...they are on my San Francisco page here because I didn't want to create a whole new blog for them...lazy? or caring about the cyber space environment? you decide....I have even put a little video on there for you...you are so spoilt!!!
AND.....the mosaic is kind of a reminder, a prompt, a visual feast relating to my button class that starts next week. You too could create buttons like these....probably can already, who knows. If you want to know more then just go here. If you couldn't care less then don't bother...either way, democracy, freedom of choice etc. I wouldn't blame you if you never came back ever actually. I seem to babble on about the same old stuff non stop.
Now a message for my girls...I am coming, sometime today to check on what you have been up to whilst I was away so you better get your heads down and tidy the classroom!!!

7 comments:

Flaming Nora said...

Busy busy busy, tidy tidy tidy, looking busy looking busy looking busy.
Please Miss the dog ate my home work.

Mosaic Magpie said...

The jet lag will get you everytime. Go sleep it off and you will be as good as new!
Deb

Anonymous said...

Welcome back :-)

Ingrid said...

Welcome back! Glad you had a good time,your pictures make me wonder why im not booking a trip this minute!!:)

Anonymous said...

It takes a while to recover from jetlag. I'm sure normal service will resume shortly!

sharon young said...

I love the mosaic, i'm new to your blog and find your work really inspirational.

Nice to see you back :-)

Sheeprustler said...

I have, as I feared, proved to be a shocking student! I have printed everything off and got everything organised but have done absolutely nothing since the last pics you saw. But I will, I will! And it is lovely to have you back :)