For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Monday, September 26, 2011

points and loops....




The Rouleau Loops finally got made.....some of them are now in the cloth and seeing them like this makes me realise why I love them so much. They just add something that I can't find the right word for but the cloth certainly wouldn't be the same without them that's for sure.I also made some Prairie Points with little areas of cutwork on them, loving those too. Sometimes embroidering a point will prevent it forming into a 'perfect' point, small price to pay I say for the added embellishment.
My class only has two weeks left to run....insert sad face.......I am going to miss it a lot. I would run it again immediately after the last day of this one but I am going away in early November so can't quite fit the six weeks in....shame. One thing I will miss though is making my videos. I have grown quite addicted to my video camera so I'm thinking......can you hear the cogs turning? Maybe I could make a little video for you. Would you like that? It won't be a technique but how about a tiny show and tell? Then you could all hear my very broad, (or so I'm told) Northern English accent....hmmmmmm, lets see what I can do.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're certainly making great progress and giving us all a lot to drool over!

Jane said...

I love hearing you talk, so a video on here would be great.

deanna7trees said...

the rouleau loops give the cloth life, as though it could get up and walk away.
video on your blog would be smashing as, I think, you all say in the UK.

Suztats said...

I think the loops add air and movement to the piece, extending it beyond the boundaries of the fabric, giving flight to the cloth.
I'd love to see some show and tell, and to hear your voice. Please.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Definitely a video!! Show and tell is ALWAYS fun (here we often call it 'bring and brag'). Rouleau loops look so stunning and intimidate the daylights out of me. I have a hard enough time turning big tubes of cloth must less little bitty ones like those.

jude said...

so you too are a video gal now....

Jeannie said...

Oh yes!!! When I hear a British voice I am transported to my Great Gram's cottage. Tea after a walk to the river with candied lemon drops to add to the tea. The loops do add so much to the piece. Wishing you a beautiful week.

Els said...

Amazing your points and loops!
A video ....? YES

JP said...

this is looking so lovely - but it is hard to picture it altogether - perhaps you can show more on the video