For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Monday, August 29, 2011

bumpy things......






The area of 'bumpy things' is finished and damp stretched now....I do like it a lot and it's great to run your hands over. So that section will be grubby first then...I have also embellished a patterned section with hand stitch, the area that has red dotty things on it. Lots of white stitches on there, knots and stuff. This piece is heavily textured. I didn't plan it that way but I know I will have enormous fun fiddling with this when it's finished. 
For the past week my dining room /computer room / work room has resembled a bomb site. This morning I shook myself down and faced my responsibilities. It is now gloriously neat, tidy, clean and I would even go so far as to say it's positively pristine! I put the ironing board away and everything!! Can you tell I'm proud?
This morning was the first day of class, no detentions yet but I can already pick out the ones who are going to be trouble!! Only kidding....SK.....you know who you are!! Honestly though, what a gorgeous bunch of girls we have gathered over there...reminder to self...don't let them down. 
I will be posting links on here to their blogs when they have posted work so you can see what we are up to. The work I create for that will also be shown on here. In truth I am creating exactly what I always create. Same motivation, same methods, same process but over there they are getting me too. The real me. A photograph, video, talking, (lots of me talking actually, babbling away inanely, very broad Northern English accent, making no sense at all I am sure)
So there you have it, a day in the life...with cleaning and housework....make the most of the latter, it won't last!



15 comments:

Sue Krekorian said...

Shoot - and there was me hoping you'd come and give me a hand with mine...

Mosaic Magpie said...

Those clean rooms don't stay that way for long. Enjoy a few moments of peace, knowing you have the class going and your house clean. I look forward to seeing all the examples and following what they are creating!
Deb

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a very successful day, and I love all your textural stitching and appliqueing!

Lois Evensen said...

The bumpy things look great. I guess "bumpy things" is an official embroidery term, right? :) Makes sense to me!

Jane said...

I love things with texture, something my youngest has picked up. first thing he does with any embroidery is feel it.

Joanna said...

Your bumpy things looks rather nice but I think they should be various shades of grey :o), then it won't matter that you run your hands over them.

Suztats said...

Beautiful bumps! Shall we have cake to celebrate?

deanna7trees said...

i'll probably be the first in detention. love those red and white rouleaus.

Unknown said...

Oh it looks like icing decorations from a "star" tip. Delicious!

Els said...

I wish all of "the girls" a good class with you, Karen!

Elizabeth said...

I'm proud of you too that you now have a clean dining room!!!!

Time for some Robbie?!?

barbara l. hale said...

I could use a little help in my sewing room when you get a chance. I do love this piece. I would never have thought of doing this kind of embellishment on printed fabric. It is so special!

Sheeprustler said...

Something that gorgeous going bump in the night would be all right, wouldn't it!

Michelle said...

Karen, thank you so much for sharing your creative soul with us. You are an inspiration to so many and have just found yourself another humble follower to your blog. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen! Your work just gets better and better - and I already thought it was great!! I love the colors - it's fresh and exciting and really shows off your creativity! You are so amazing - so inspiring!! I emailed Madame Samm of Sew We Quilt/Stash Manicure and told her she needed to have you as a Guest...and she wrote back and said she already has!! Well DUH! Of course she would have discovered you! Anyway, I'm so happy to have been able to spend a few minutes peeking in to see what you've been up to...now off to work! xo, Nan PS: Don't be surprised if Samm contacts you again soon!