For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Saturday, July 30, 2011

cutwork?




Cutwork....but on paper. Does it qualify? Well I would say yes. It definitely qualifies as something that works...it looks amazing. I am really happy with the way this piece is going.
First though..I am feeling so much better. I think I turned a corner sometime yesterday. The swelling has gone down massively, I have no pain and my little mini break appears to have done me some good. I still have a shed load of tablets to take but they appear to be doing their job now. Phew, the relief at probably bypassing the hospital part of all this is immense......I appreciate all your comments so much and hope to get back to you all over the weekend. 
This piece above was photographed in its early stages. It is almost finished now and should be ready for unveiling and listing on Monday. In the meantime I am trying to get together another little give away for tomorrow. Monday is when my article will be published too. I am very excited about that. The magazine is only available online but I can definitely send you there from here where you can read the whole piece. It isn't about me, it centres on an aspect of embroidery that drives and inspires me. All my own work, words from my teeny tiny brain. I am delighted with it and feel as if I have really accomplished something and as I said last time, it looks amazing.
Next on the list....finish this paper piece and then make something for you. Have a lovely Saturday.

16 comments:

Jane said...

Lovely, seems a natural progression from your fabric edgings

jill said...

absolutely stunning. Seems the tablets must have done something after all!

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

Yes it definitely qualifies. It looks gorgeous! Pleased you're feeling better. x

Lois Evensen said...

Hi Karen,

Beautiful.

You always have something exciting going on and I am excited for you.

I'm delighted you are feeling better. :))

Big hugs,
Lois

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to seeing the final product... love the cutwork.

deanna7trees said...

like cookies and cream. love the combo.

Gina said...

Oh my, I'm so far behind! I knew I was extra busy this week but didn't realize I'd missed nearly the whole week! Glad to hear your arm is healing up. As always, your work is pure confection for the eyes. Soothing and exciting all at once.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're feeling better. The cutwork is amazing.

Elizabeth said...

Now Karen I leave town and you decide to change your header, get a major infection, publish a couple of interviews and still find time to make the most gorgeous pieces. It's good I'm back in town otherwise I would miss way too much of all the exciting things.

Now get your arm in better shape before you whirl off on some other new adventure.

See you soon.

Suztats said...

I'm glad you're feeling better, Karen! I like the cutwork piece, too.

Flaming Nora said...

Beautiful little lilly covered ponds in the middle of a formal garden.

Anonymous said...

Well, I think it works, and I shall look forward to seeing the link to your article when it goes up.

Els said...

Aaaah, love your "cutwork" Karen,
but I thing it was more like a stamp torn out.... beautiful, as always!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

So glad to hear the horses are winning! Cutwork on paper - who would have guessed it would even work and, in the working, be so pretty?

Helena said...

Ihope you're feeling better.
I love the aspect of that work even if embroidery on paper is strange for me.
Have a nice sunday, with the sun, I hope. Kisses, kisses.

Gayle said...

Such creativity...the cutwork is beautiful!