For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Wednesday, April 20, 2011

spoilt....

I'm late today, sorry about that. I have been out, yes actually outside in a car and everything. Shopping for my little girls birthday was the plan. Focused? you bet, knew exactly what I wanted and everything...ha!! Skirtgate all over again...nothing, zero, zilch is precisely what I have so plans for another day are afoot, like I've got time to shop till I drop!! Ignore the fact that I would rather have my toenails removed than go shopping! Friday it is then....I  toyed with the idea of online for a second but we have so many bank holidays coming up it was never going to happen...oh well, these things are sent to try us!! Good job she is worth it..
Now, embroidery, blue and white, the first piece of my new ''collection'', I'm posh, I'm getting a collection!! It isn't even half finished yet and bearing in mind that I need thirty, yes thirty pieces in total it's going to be a long haul my friends. I am enjoying this blue and white so much though, you may be seeing a lot of it. I am in the process of making a gift of blue and white buttons and I am also working on an order for a blue and white piece alongside the work on here so it's blue and white for a few days yet. No complaints from me.....
Now for the spoilt bit, the title of this post...I have received so many parcels and gifts in the post recently that I am totally spoilt rotten, a brat infact. I have received packages of cloth, lace, tatted flowers, hooks and eyes and even beautiful vintage baby clothes all of them unsolicited, all of them purely because people are wonderful and generous and kind. So I want a big drum roll and I want to give a huge  thankyou to Gina, Mary Anne, Jane and Betsy...you are all amazing and I am more grateful than you will ever know, thankyou.

I have had a few e-mails asking about THE MAGAZINE....which one it is, well it is this one, Issue 9, out imminently. I haven't got mine yet and as there is so much interest from all of you I am now starting to worry, racking my brains to remember what I said in my ''interview'' and praying that I haven't embarrassed myself, Yikes!!

10 comments:

Jane said...

The blue and white collections sounds pretty good to me. The baby clothes are beautiful
I am sure the magazine piece will be brilliant and you will have done yourself justice.

Lois Evensen said...

I still just love that blue and white. How wonderful that so many pieces have been shared with you. You will certainly have such creative things to do with them! I am sure your interview will be just right and look forward to reading/hearing about it. :)

Hugs,
Lois

Anonymous said...

Your blue and white is looking good, certainly I won't complain about seeing more of it!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Hah - you might feel like you're a spoilt brat, but you are the nicest one I know, so you deserve the goodies! I'm just glad my contribution actually arrived.

Suztats said...

Looks like you've been well spoiled! Isn't it fun?
I love the blue & white, and it's fab you'll be so busy with it.
Hugs

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

Hello1
I have just got back from my hols so catching up with blog reading!
I love the blue and white, like delft ware.
Congrats for the magazine.
M x

Elizabeth said...

The blue/white collection is a very good choice, if you ask me.

Yes, it is big fun to see the mailman arrive and receive a beautiful parcel from a far away place.

Just be patient and you will find the perfect gift for your little girl.

Enjoy your evening.

dandelion said...

glad to know you weren't soliciting!

Johoanna Robson said...

Your blue and white piece is beautiful. Spoilt? Maybe. But you are worth it. I hate shopping too, especially for clothes. They never have what I like or want. Have a wonderful Easter.

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

Blue and white looking stunning Karen. Will we get to see the completed 'collection' at some point, or is it commercially sensitive...?
Happy Easter!
x