For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Thursday, March 3, 2011

seven....

The final seven pieces, finished and damp stretched last night. Sorry there aren't as many pictures today, the light is against me and the insanity encouragers are doing their worst. I hear it more in my dining room where I take my pictures you see, the brightest room in the house and I just can't bear to be in there any longer than I have too. I don't really have so much to say today either, well not anything that won't send you to sleep or cause you to yawn uncontrolably, perhaps even allow you to grow a beard...
For the rest of the day I will be mounting these thirty little pieces, cutting pages for the books, printing graph paper for extra leaves, printing pictures of my work to put in too. By tonight I hope to be able to start assembling....
You may remember that I mentioned baby Lydia's christening on sunday. It means that tomorrow my little girl comes home for the weekend. It also means that I need to sort this hovel that is my home out. There are beds to change, floors to wash, food to buy....but I wouldn't change a thing, Helen is coming home.

16 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

Have a wonderful weekend with Helen. :) Just love your super seven!

Hugs,
Lois

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Karen, Your pieces are so pretty. I truly admire you work. Hugs Judy

Suztats said...

Here's hoping your weekend is splendid! Love the 7!

Elizabeth said...

You don't mind to move mountain, just to have your daughter home.

Looking forward to the new books next week?!?!

fabriquefantastique said...

Karen, you must work 20 hours a day...how do you produce so much? Helen won't mind what the house looks like.

Linda Carole Bloom said...

Like my grandmother used to say when cleaning "Just hit the middle!" Enjoy your weekend!

Jane said...

What a delightful collection
Have a lovely weekend

Joanna said...

Have a lovely time.

Those samples are looking good. Hope the noise finishes soon

DIAN said...

Such exquisite pieces - enjoy your family time.

Jan said...

Just enjoy Helen she wont mind a bit of sewing disorder ,your little gems are priceless ...love Jan xx

Leone said...

Your work is really lovely, I have just found your blog through MAGPIE MUMBLINGS and have ordered you book. I can't wait to receive it.

Ingrid said...

Have a lovely time with Helen:-)
These are stunning!!

jill said...

These look lovely, enjoy the christening and helens vist

Tammie Lee said...

oh my
gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Have a great weekend!

You have some delightful pieces there.

~Marica~ said...

what a lovely pieces and a great work :)