For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Sunday, December 19, 2010

moving on....


I think I am moving this piece on in a good way, a positive even innovative way. What do you think? It is the same yet different if you know what I mean. It is fascinating how the addition of only a single element can change something so drastically. The stitches are the same, the cloth the same, the colour the same, the inspiration the same, yet adding the fold, pockets and hooks and eyes has changed even this tiny section dramatically. These are only tacked at the moment so please ignore any loose or straggling threads,

I am going to continue with the hook and eye strip. I am going to lay it next to each section that is already finished. I am going to doodle and play wirth arrangement and then if all goes to plan I will have a jigsaw puzzle of pieces which will hopefully fit into a collection of cushions. Yes, a collection, four to be exact, again different yet the same, linked by colour and stitch.
Now I've noticed a blogging variation going on have you? Some people are shut down already for christmas. Some hardy, dedicated souls are doing blog advents, every day commitments, I take my hat off to you, well done. Then there are people like me, no plan, no schedule , just waffling on as the need takes them. Truth be told I am scared to take a break, my stats will drop like a stone and I am SOOOO stat obsessed that I need some kind of medication. Don't be fooled and start thinking ''oh Karen must be all ready for christmas, she is so organised she can do yuletide and continue to stitch and waffle''. Well oh no she can't. I am so behind with my festivity preparations that I am getting palpitations. I will be last minute shopping christmas eve the way I'm going. I was going to sign off for the holidays today, the thought crept into my subconscious as I worried over how much I still have to do for the holidays but hey....if you take it down to the bare bones, the actual hours and minutes needed to accomplish everything then it doesn't  feel too daunting. Then subtract sleeping and eating and you have even more time....so you will have to put up with me just a little longer before I put my santa hat on!!

22 comments:

Jane said...

love it! Love the hooks and eyes. Can't wait to see the end results

Elizabeth said...

That is really a good idea with the hook and eye jigsaw-puzzle. Great thinking.

And I love putting up with you so don't worry.

Joanna said...

Love the hook and eyes too but I was left wondering how that fits into a cushion, I wait with a distinct feeling of intrigue.

Any consolation, I haven't done a thing for Christmas in fact I am going away for four days and will only be back Christmas Eve with no idea what our daughter is planning, mind you, I don't think she has either and finishes work late Christmas Eve. My blog will be done early (like in a few minutes) so we can go away but I will be back to my Monday routine after that. Have a great Christmas and I look forward to the developments when I get back.

Gina said...

I am starting to think I must be crazy to be blogging every day but only five more to go (not that I want to panic you or anything)I like the addition of the hooks and eyes Karen.

Angela said...

Hi Karen,
It looks fantastic, you seem alot happier with your work today, and you are certainly achieving loads. Merry Christmas!

deanna7trees said...

love the hooks and eyes idea. almost as if there is a secret to be revealed within.

Suztats said...

My, I'm intrigued with the eyes and hooks. Hmmm, does this mean you'll have different pieces to switch off on the same pillow? A special panel for spring, one for Christmas, etc.? Interesting thought. Can't wait to see what you have in mind.
Wishing you and yours a wonderful Holiday Season filled with love, laughter & Joy. Merry Merry!

JP said...

I think your work just gets lovlier - have been trying to comment for days but blogger has been playing up!! - we were at Runrig at Preston on Thursday!!! - they were fantastic as usual weren't they?

Karen said...

Hi JP. Yes they were amazing, can't count the number of times I've seen them and they just get better every time. Small world!!

vintagerockchick said...

See, what YOU need Karen is an unexpected day off like I got yesterday. I was all geared up to work at Leyton Orient, and then lo and behold it was cancelled. I still got up at 7am as if I was going and I had the whole unexpected day to do stuff!
Loving the white and the silver metal together x

connie said...

Oh, Karen you have given me such an appreciation of hooks and eyes!!! I am making a quilted journal square with hooks and eyes, due to your inspiration. I hope you have a fantastic holiday and take some time off and Enjoy. We will be here when you return!!! Merry Christmas!

Jan said...

What a super idea ,it makes it look so different in such a nice way ..love Jan xx

sylviesgarden said...

Gorgeous! The hooks and eyes have completely transformed it.
x

Helena said...

It's wonderful!!! I love it!

Lois Evensen said...

I love the hooks and eyes. I still use them on some of the doll clothes that I make. I also use buttons, but never, never Velcro as is found on store bought doll clothes. Yucky Velcro! I still have hooks and eyes on cards that my mother bought more than 50 years ago. Love them.

Merry Christmas!

Lois

gunnelsvensson said...

So many beautiful stitch !!!!!!!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Gunnel

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Must admit my jaw dropped when I saw all those hooks and eyes and my brain actually sizzled at the thought of having to stitch all of them onto anything!! Yikes! You amaze me.

Sheeprustler said...

It still loooks deliciously like snowflakes to me, just with hardware now!

Anonymous said...

It's always fascinating to see the textures you create, Karen.

Might I suggest delegating some of the Christmas preparation to the rest of the family?

Gayle said...

So glad you are blogging through the holidays...these photos are beautiful!

Amelia said...

I am attempting to waffle on on the blog as the mood takes me yet I can't seem to find the time, don't know what I am doing!!!

I love the exquisite white work and stitches here especially with the addition of the hook and eyes!

Wishing you such a lovely (and white! he he) christmas and new year Karen

Amelia.x

Ingrid said...

Beautiful Karen!please show it when its finished:-)
Wish you and yours a happy holiday