For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Wednesday, November 3, 2010

embellishing....

Fingers crossed that you are not yet sick of gingham, bored to distraction by the very mention of the word!! There is WHITE going on here too it's just that I can't show you, sorry. These pieces are for small things I have in mind for the shop. The shop is no longer my main focus but I was over there a couple of days ago and there is actually very little in there unless you have some kind of button fetish. So these little things will be in there, with christmas in mind, when they are finished. Don't hold your breath though because I have sooooo much going on they may be ready for next year!




It's a long time since I made any puffs and I'd forgotten how good they felt in your hand. Little squishy balls of cloth and these ones have tails! The tails are left from the fastening off process so they can be tied to the surface. They will actually not be visible when the pieces are finished so maybe you should consider it an honour to see them in this ''naked'' state!!


We have lift off with the favours too!! Well at least in the sense that soon they will no longer be in my trusted care. The mother of the groom is coming to collect them on sunday. Can't quite give a ''phew'' or a sigh of relief yet though...they still need to be wrapped and adorned. That's my saturday entertainment sorted then.

18 comments:

sylviesgarden said...

I love the little flowers.
x

Jane said...

With such a variety of colours, it would be very hard to get bored of the gingham. The puffs are gorgeous

deanna7trees said...

love the double stitching on the edge. and the gray and yellow combo is outstanding.

Elizabeth said...

Love the way the gingham is coming together and can't wait what you are gonna make from them.

John'aLee said...

Oh those top pieces are precious! I love the things you come up with.
I've never seen the puffs before. How interesting!

connie said...

These pieces are beautiful and they make me smile. I love the gingham prairie points... There is something cool about the squares of the gingham with the triangle shape. Such fun. Glad all is well!

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

HELLO KAREN, Your creations are always so lovely. I love all the wee flowers and puffs and especially I love how you use your Prairie Points. Hugs Judy

fabriquefantastique said...

who ever tires of gingham? why do you think it has remained popular for a hundred years or more...lovely work.

Anonymous said...

I'm intrigued to see what you make of the gingham pieces and especially the puffs.

No, we aren't bored with gingham!

Heartwideopen said...

I'm absolutely in love with that green gingham. I love the one on the far left in the top photo with the bright petal flowers. And I also like the gingham prairie points. Love the square/triangle thing going on. I love those little puffs! I adore the ones I have.

;~) Debi

Dolores said...

You are busy. I love the colourful gingham.

Gina said...

You have a way of making gingham look fresh and inviting. This is the way I like gingham, lots of colors together and little stitchery surprises everywhere.

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

Love the mix of check and embroidery it reminds me of vintage smock dresses.

Lois Evensen said...

No, not at all tired of gingham! So pretty.

Helena said...

Lovelly colors, lovelly embellishing!!!

jill said...

I love all the different shades of gingham, didn't know there was so much, these are lovely

lillalotta said...

It is so adorable and sweet. I love this direction of your work. Your patient hands are creating such beauty!

Catharina Maria said...

I love your work so much , and the little flowers are great !
Love ♥RINI♥