For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Thursday, September 16, 2010

paper and cloth.....

It's all happening here, machine stitched paper, cutwork on paper, embroidery on paper, embroidery on cloth to compliment embroidery on paper, you get my drift. I have also been playing with my hexagon/silk/text piece but more on that another time. I must say though that I think it's looking good, better now, not as contrived.





I like how these works on paper are progressing and am very excited to see how the books turn out in their complete form. Last time it was book central around here I got asked a lot about embellishing them and when I posted on that was asked if I would consider selling this. I decided against it as the time that went into it would have made it prohibitively expensive and I want YOU to embellish, to be inspired and take it further. The brain has been ticking though and I have a few ideas as to what else I could put in there to kickstart you, colour studies perhaps? Snippets of art for you to study? Textures for you to explore? We shall see when they are ready, which will be? your guess is as good as mine but don't worry, you will be the first to know!

14 comments:

fabriquefantastique said...

Ohh, you have been busy and creative...looks like fun

deanna7trees said...

love all the combinations, especially the cross stitched paper.

Ijeoma said...

Karen you are one of the luckiest people I know. You do what you love and you do it often. (As said on last Friday's post :)

Gorgeous pieces. xo

gunnelsvensson said...

Wow, this is very exciting Karen, and so beautiful !
Thank you for visit and comment on my blog !!!

Dolores said...

Gorgeous and very inspirational. I went back and took a look at the other book too. I do hope the papers are acid free. Or does it matter?

Karen said...

I only ever use acid free tissue paper and the paper here is best quality watercolour paper so I assume it's archive quality.

**EYE-SNACKS** said...

Oh Karen,I like this ! Nice to see that everything fits without hesitation.I love very much the picture before the last one.I think with the woven items on it.You are well on floating, nice to see!

helena said...

The mariage of embroidery on the paper and on the cloth is perfect! Who'd think of that? Only you!
Each time I write to you, I hope you understand my english, that is so poor and unperfect!!!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I can absolutely feel your excitement Karen. Can't wait to see what comes from your talented hands next.

Gina said...

Intriguing combinations! Love watching it all take shape too.

Jill said...

Another delightful combination of texture and stitch,

Rachel said...

It looks as though you are having a lot of fun here, Karen - some very exuberant combinations going on!

Jackie said...

Love love love i, especially where the off white meets the white.

Suztats said...

Wow! Now, who else would have thought of paper and cloth embroidery together in one piece?! You amaze me. Guess that's why I love to stop by and get my fix.