For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Tuesday, July 6, 2010

still here....

Sorry!! I really didn't mean to be away this long but stuff happens.... I had an amazing time in London, really fantastic. Caught up with a couple of people at New Designers that I hadn't seen for a while, did a bit of chatting, oh o.k. a lot of chatting about this making business that we all seem to be addicted to. Picked up tons of postcards from all the new graduates, there is some gorgeous stuff being produced out there I can tell you! Spent time with the WHOLE family, husband and both children for a change!! It was great. Yesterday I was ''indesposed'' won't go into that one, I will spare you but never fear, I'm back. You may suffer from a little picture overload today. apologies in advance but I am so indecisive I can never decide which ones to leave out! These two were stretching whilst I was galavanting round London......more loops and prairie points, what can I say....I just have this compulsion.
and hey voila!! Very sore fingers and some time later we have five more purses. Crazy patchwork purses this time, a little more expensive because there is so much more work in these and I don't know about you but I think they are just so 'unusual'?? kind of never to be repeated or found anywhere else unusual? I may even buy one for myself................They are now you know where, with lots more pictures too.
I have so many e-mails to answer, I haven't forgotten you honestly I am just so ............well life gets in the way you know how it is. You will hear from me soon I promise. And finally......I won a give away!! I am sure it's the first one I have ever won and look at these gorgeous crochet trims and beautiful fabric I got from Cerejeira Studio, just lovely, thankyou so much!

It seems blogger is having comment publishing issues. If you continue to comment it's fine, I want you to, they just may not show up on here for a while but as soon as it's resolved they will appear as if by magic! Have a lovely day. x
Right, I am getting mightily ticked off now! I have lots of comments on this post, all of which blogger is telling me are published. Can you see them?????????? If they are not here soon I will be having a major tantrum! Please don't let it put you off posting a comment, they will appear soon, blogger doesn't want to see me in a strop!!

23 comments:

Cerejeira said...

Beautiful purses!

Gina said...

Sounds like a good weekend. Love the white purse.

Jane said...

These purses are adorable. Glad to have you back

Elizabeth said...

Hej Karen,

Good to hear that you had a lovely and productive stay in London. How are your feet holding up?

My favorite picture of this large batch is the one with the almost with purse. That one reflects you so perfectly.l

Hope your blogger troubles will disappear just as quickly as they turned up.

Have a lovely evening.

xoxo e.

Diane Kelsey said...

The purses are all wonderful! Collected the book Whole Cloth form the library today, it looks really interesting. I will enjoy looking through it tonight.

Lois Evensen said...

Lovely. I especially like the all white one. Great for formal use.

It seems Blogger has comments working again. ;)

Rachel said...

Glad you had a good time in London! Hope Blogger behaves itself soon!

Jan said...

So pleased you had a good time 'up in the big smoke ' does it still get called that ? nice you spent time with the family ,and friends who make stuff ,those purses are out of this world ,just off to, you know where to check them out ..love Jan xx

Amelia said...

glad you had fun in London. What a hive of creative activity you are!

I had problems with my comments today. changed the settings on them, then changed them back and all seems to be back in order now :)

Love those purses!

Amelia.x

jennyflowerblue said...

Aww, so pleased you had a good time with your family. Those purses have come out so well, quite magical! xx (p.s- both Anna and Will have new sandals)

deanna7trees said...

The purses are incredible. Glad you enjoyed London. I think I can speak for all your followers that we do not want you to leave out any of the pictures. We want to see it all.

Jill said...

The purses are wonderful.
(Only says one comment on the blog, but 11 here in the comment window)

vintagerockchick said...

Sorry I couldn't get to meet up with you - glad you had a good day, and the purses look lovely. The comments are all showing, although it only shows one comment on the post - I noticed that on someone else's too xx

Joei Rhode Island said...

Lovely little purses. Glad you had fun in London and got to visit with family. Keep posting....we will comment. =-)

Diane Cransac said...

O see 14 comments so I guess it decided to behave :) Glad you had such a good time in London. Looks like you have been very productive! I on the other hand havent finished a thing these last two weeks except my French cram course and MY TEST! Now I can create too YAY!

Ijeoma said...

I had the same problem dear, but the thing with me is that I have no shame, so I kind of emailed the people, explained the situation and politely asked them to comment again.
Seriously I have no shame :) It looks like yours is working now, mine also started working a day later, anyway, great work as usual.

Victoria said...

Your work just absolutely, never-ever ceases to amaze and delight me! You are a true original and I hope your compulsion to do what you do never stops!

(happy that you had such a great time, too!)

Sea Angels said...

Lovely to see you Karen...love the purses
Lynn xxx

Anonymous said...

I can see the comments! But what I love looking at is that row of purses! Beautiful and quirky...quite a feat.

jude said...

yes i see them! you are stitching up quite a storm!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I have never seen such gorgeous embroidery! I had to order one of those precious purses and maybe some more.....
Marcy
mantle@piedmontcenter.com
www.queenmarcyoriginals.typepad.com

Threads of Inspiration said...

Your bags are just lovely. I totally understand the price being a bit more...so much work!

Maminka Girl - Loribeth Robare said...

your work is just exquisite! It is so infused with white which is my favorite color. So glad to have discovered you too. Loribeth