For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Friday, April 2, 2010

edges

Now you know me and my fixation for edges, tons of ideas running round in my head all the time. Here's one of them. I made this to (possibly) go on the edge of the embroidery I showed you last time and even though the thread is the same colour as the thread used in the pink piece it looks so much different. Probably because it's the only colour here, no white thread, no vintage fabric in a different shade of pink. I haven't decided if I will use this on the edge yet, I remember a passing cloud of thought that involved pockets and buttons, poor focus Karen, must do better but hey nothing is wasted. Used as the edge or not this piece has sparked another idea, how glorious would this look in all white?



It actually looks kind of 'bridal'. Absolutely not my intention and could even be called a little 'twee'. If it does however find it's way to the edge of my piece I am sure it will look completely different.
I believe today is a holiday, well round here in my little world the days just merge into one, except for christmas of course but if you are having a special day, have a happy day and a lovely holiday time.

13 comments:

deanna7trees said...

Oh...that would be so beautiful as a valance over sheer fabric in a baby girl's room.

Elizabeth said...

You are a genius.

Have a lovely Easter.

Elizabeth said...

You are a genius.

Have a lovely Easter.

Rachel said...

The last photo in the sequence stopped me in my tracks - absolutely enchanting!

Carol said...

I love your embroidery, it is beautiful.

Have a great Easter.

Twiglet said...

Your work is like a breath of fresh air - its just so beautiful.
Happy Easter.

Tammie Lee said...

angelic and precious
I would love to see you do bridal gowns and be paid gobs of money for doing so! Well if it would excite you that is.

Jane said...

I can't believe the patience you have to do these edges. Look forward to seeing where they end up

meri said...

Great work!

Have a lovely holiday weekend too, Karen.

Ingrid said...

How delicate and sweet,
Happy Easter Karen:-)

Joei Rhode Island said...

It is exquisite and I *love* the edging. I think it plays off your dainty work so well. And I think the 3 D effect of the lace was brilliant.

lillalotta said...

There is not many than can make me stare at the screen in awe. So delicate and utterly beautiful.

florence PACAUD said...

florence pacaud brodeuse d insectes contemporaine je suis en france et je profite d'internet pour faire connaissance avec d'autres brodeuses dans le monde j'adore ton blog c'est une ouverture merveilleuse tu es une artiste de talent
mon blog in france
http://adebleys.canalblog.com