For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Sunday, March 28, 2010

why?


mosaic
Originally uploaded by contemporary embroidery
I wasn't intending to post today but I woke up in a strange mood. I felt a need to connect with the time that I feel I was at my best creatively. That meant getting all my sketchbooks out from my uni days and I came across this work. These quotes were the result of painstaking theoretical research and merely looking at them now has sparked something. There is a major change going on here, one that I can't really go into yet. For now I will continue to make in the same way, I need to keep this online presence going, it keeps me sane. Away from here there are things happening that I will share as soon as I can, if you can't wait then drop me an e-mail, private is fine, cyber space is too public. I am going to leave it there, I don't want to get too profound or deep. x
p.s. this post may look wierd.....that's because blogger wouldn't let me post (does anyone know why?) so I had to create and import from flickr. (a new skill learnt, didn't know I was capable!!)

13 comments:

Rachel said...

I'll be watching with interest, Karen. I've not the faintest idea how you develop the ideas you do, but they always result in something amazing!

jennyflowerblue said...

What a fascinating little quote- a few words but packed with ideas. I do hope you are o.k with the changes afoot- and that it is all good stuff. Hugs xxx

Gina said...

Fascinating to see your sketchbook work Karen. Hope all changes are good ones.

meri said...

Because troubles like that I've left blogger...
Hope you are well, my friend and looking forward to your inspired work.

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

It sounds exciting and I wish you well in all your creativity.
Mx

Anonymous said...

Sounds like soemthing big is going on. Change is always frightening and exciting to me. I wish you well with whatever is developing and look forward to seeing how it evolves creatively too.

Jackie said...

Intriguing.

Joei Rhode Island said...

Sounds mysterious. Hope it is a positive change....transitions are always difficult.

Oh! And your mother's work is fab...you were born with that gene!

Jacky said...

Aahhhh what are you up to... sounds exciting!
Enjoy this fresh new creative energy and cant wait to see/hear more.
Have a great week.

Jacky xox

Marie said...

I sense you are at a crossroads of sorts...surely it is positive.
I look forward to hearing what it is.
Sending good thoughts...
:)

jude said...

hope all is ok????

Chrissie said...

Hope the changes bring lots of new excitement for you Karen!

bunches of yarn said...

Sure I'll like to know--and, with details...but, I shall be patient until you are ready to share with all of us. Your work is exquisite. I still shudder at the thought of cutting up a piece of embroidered work...Waiting to hear. ^__^