For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Sunday, November 29, 2009

Mosaic Sunday ?????

What can I say....I like to be different. The reason for this mosaic......I have spent the last three days sorting out my shop, a mammoth task I can assure you. Things have been deleted never to be seen again, other things removed have been put back. Some things have been re-photographed and rearranged and that's where the mosaic comes in, my favourite things, a freshen up so to speak that I wanted to share. There's lots of new stuff in there but you may have to root around, some of it's on page two, some on page three, have a look and let me know what you think. I even put this in because it just doesn't go with my new room so instead of languishing in the cupboard it is now up for sale.

My days off have gone so quickly this week. To my shame I am still not completely into christmas mode. I have bought the advent calendars and made a rough list of who I have to buy gifts for but there is still a long way to go and I am back at work in the morning. Obviously embroidery has been happening but definitely not as much as I would have liked. I have finished the two pieces I was making last time. I am thinking of joining them and adding to them, not that I have a clue how yet but something has sparked, a large piece constructed from lots of fragments maybe, a kind of crazy patchwork of fragments?? The brain is ticking but I am so indecisive and I need to decide sharpish!
My posts seem to be getting earlier every time too. You have the X Factor and the Jungle to thank for that, I'm such an addict! I hope you all have a great week and who knows, when I come back I may be ready for christmas...O.K. maybe not!

14 comments:

Jane said...

That sounds like a lovely idea. The two fragments go really well together, would love to see you take this further.

Joei Rhode Island said...

Love the vibrant color behind the white. Makes the white work shine. (Your photography is always top notch!) As for the Christmas thing....well, I still have to get through another birthday....LOL...not mine but a grandchilds. Then the list begins. Good Luck!

hens teeth said...

Pesky day job!

Threadspider said...

Mosaic Sunday is a grand idea! Those items look very good together.
As for the C thing-nothing organised here at all yet and we just decided to take a room apart and redecorate etc etc before Christmas Yikes!

Ingrid said...

The 2 look stunning together!
And the mosaic.....lost for words!
Have a great week Karen!

Cerejeira said...

Hi Karen!
Thanks for the e-mail.
I am sorry had to look foralternative.
Anyway, liked the fragment...

méri said...

Amazing work! Your creations are always original!!!
You have a long time till Christmas :) Have a great week!

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

Great mosaic,delicate shades of white.
I am an addict too, I'm stitching while watching the X factor!

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Karen, Your stitching is always a job to see. Lovely Lovely work. Hugs Judy

Amelia said...

oooohh - it's really exciting thinking of ways to solve 'artistic' problems! I'm sure you will come up with a really interesting way of joinging your pieces together. You have already got me thinking what I would do. And also just to let you know that your work really inspired me and I sat down at the weekend and taught myself some new stitches (via internet lessons - so useful I forget sometimes, the net!!)

I even incorporated some stitches into my mixed media canvas work on my new work (just put some on blog today), so thank you very much. I love reading about the thinking and processes and behind your work.

Amelia.x

Gayle said...

The beautiful colors under the lace is magical. :-)

Denise Kiggan said...

Gorgeous work! Looking forward to seeing the outcome of your ideas!

Diane Cransac said...

Just love these pieces. For some reason they remind me of underwater fantasy. Sorry I have been such a stranger. I hate my computer connection now if thats any sort of excuse. I have made a vow to quit being such a stranger!

Victoria said...

That white embroidered lace is incredible!