For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Cloth for ''Sparkle''.

Progress to date on my new cloth for ''Sparkle''. This is not even half done yet but I have damp stretched this part and now need to continue all the way down the cloth. Now you know how I am with clean, un wrinkled, all points on the OCD calendar? Well look how this image is of a crumpled cloth. I had taken lots of pictures, some of which are on this post, in my usual folded restrained way and then from nowhere I had placed the cloth on the table like this and I thought oh, that looks nice. So I took more pictures and I have to say I love it like this, soft, somehow makes me feel warm.








Although it will take a while to finish this piece I am not at all in a hurry. I feel like I am ''home''. I get such pleasure making these cloths, all the while my head is working, thinking about how it will look when it's finished, what can I do with the edge. I am already planning my next piece for Sparkle and would really like to expand the ''swaddling band'' theme I dabbled with a while back. The next image is of the back of this work, there is something about it don't you think? It deserves it's own picture.

My parcel arrived safely today for the Weston Arts Festival, phew! My work is going to be placed alongside the work of some amazing artists in a place called Frou Frou. The lovely Camilla has set up a blog specifically for Frou Frou artists so have a look, she says lovely things about me!
Well it's back to work on monday, the least said about that the better.......but........it means not as much embroidery........sob,sob. Rest assured though that when I am home I will be stitching my fingers to the bone and I won't desert you, promise. x

15 comments:

Ulla said...

Good luck with your festival! I loved the new kind of pictures of your work, and of course the embroidery.

Jane said...

I can't wait for the edging. Well, I can, but you know what I mean. I have often wondered what the back looks like

Jackie said...

Frou frou looks gorgeous. You should do well there. The cloth is fab on the back and front.

Victoria said...

Gorgeous pics, Karen! And Frou Frou is one great collection of talented woman! Congrats!

connie said...

I am glad your work arrived at Frou Frou, It looks wonderful. I also love sparkle. Thanks for showing us the back. It is very cool too. I make such a mess when I embroider so I would not be brave enough to show the back.

Tammie Lee said...

I always enjoy seeing the beautiful art you are making!
Spirithelpers

Kickcan & Conkers said...

Beautiful work - you must be so patient!

Joei Rhode Island said...

Love the drape in the new pictures...gives your work a new kind of life.
The wrapping cloths are stunning and they are pictured well on Frou Frou.
I love visiting your blog and seeing your work...so inspiring.

jennyflowerblue said...

Being very un-OCD I love the slightly rumpled pile, reminds me of sunny morning lie ins...in the dim and distant past! x

Elizabeth said...

What a beautiful piece again. It looks so clean and gorgeous. Your pictures are so lovely, wish I could make such lovelies.

Good luck with Frou Frou.

Greedy Nan said...

Your work is so-o-o lovely and although I have studied the pictures, I really don't understand how it's done. Ever written or thought of writing a book? It's certainly something I would buy ...

Joei Rhode Island said...

Karen...
I can understand with all that white background why you don't play with dye much. =-) I have an excellent product that get the stain off my skin I can recommend...unless you don't plan on ever dyeing and would trade or let me purchase your book?
Let me know
Joei
ejaglady@cox.net

Jacky said...

This is soooo beautiful Karen and I love the photos with the soft folds (also love the way you usually take your photos). Beautiful piece....

Jacky xox

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

Karen, this cloth is not crumpled. It is DRAPED! And very elegantly draped too. The cloth looks beautiful back and front - but when I went over to Frou Frou the photos of your work (that 'ruched' one is one of my favourites) actually made me cry! Seriously, they all look so beautiful! Am now going off to console myself with a cup of tea...

Catharina Maria said...

YOUR WORK IS PERFECT !!
And I love your blog very much !
Love from the Netherlands RINI