For centuries women have used cloth as a tool of comfort and as an expression of beauty within their homes. Creating cloth for warmth, cloth for shelter, our female predecessors embellished these linens with hand stitch using laborious and time consuming techniques thereby enhancing the functional beauty of objects which enveloped and protected their families. Inspired by these women I hope my creations pay tribute to and recognise the devotion expressed in cloth by our female ancestors .







''the use of traditional often time consuming process alludes to the devotion of a mother''. c K. A. Ruane 2007







Sunday, July 5, 2009

Sorry...again! I've let you down.

I don't like making promises I then go on to break. Sleepless nights, guilty conscience, you name it, I get it. Anyway the reason I have broken my promise, chaos has descended. I had an idea yesterday, quite a dangerous thing to have sometimes! ''I know I thought, get my stuff out for next week to check it's all mounted etc etc etc.'' Fatal, I realised I had loads of stuff to package, nothing was priced and on and on and on......so this is how my dining table looks and probably will for the foreseeable future. Have pity on my family, they cannot move for fear of ''touching something white''.
and that is how I have let you down, the doll isn't finished. In actual fact that probably has more to do with the edge of her dress, you know me, if there is a complicated way to do it I will find it! This edge is taking forever so I only have a little peek of it here. Worth it though I think, I like the way it's looking. She will definitely be finished for her holiday to Kent and there is another one in progress.


This week is so exciting! I am off work after wednesday, having my trip to the makey do, then on saturday after the do I am going to stay with my daughter in London so that on the sunday I can go to New Designers. When I found out the date of the makey do I was really bothered about missing New Designers, this way I get to do both. It will mean a very late arrival home on sunday night then up for work on monday but...........last week before seven weeks off. Yay!!
I will definitely be back before I go off on my trip with one definite doll to show you but hopefully two!

12 comments:

Katy Swift said...

I'm amazed at how much you do and it's always so beautiful. Try and relax.It will be gorgeous and Makey Do will be a huge triumph.

Threadspider said...

Have a productive and wonderful week (and visit to London). See you on the far side....in case you don't make it back here before you go. And may sales at the Makey Do be fantastic.

Jane said...

Definitely no need to apologise, it all looks intriguing. Hope all goes well and enjoy the trip to London. Wishing you all the best

Anonymous said...

You have worked so hard so it will be a success. Enjoy the preparation and the rest of the week. Also enjoy the makey do and New Designers
Jill

Victoria said...

You never, ever let us down, so no need to fret!
Enjoy your time in London!

Ulla said...

All my best wishes for correct pricing and getting everything finished and packed, and sold at the fair!

meplusmolly said...

Well it all looks blooming wonderful to me!

No need to panic, I think most people unless ultra organised are in the same boat! I've still items to finish, price etc etc.... I don't panic these days just late nights!! ;0

Looking forward to meeting you at the weekend, am making room for a slice of cake too! can't have a 'Do' without scrummy goodies to eat!! ;0 X

connie said...

You have never disappointed me! I love seeing what you are working on and you do such a great job of photographing it. I love the photo with the buttons. I am especially taken with the button in the foreground with the stripe of fabric and the text on it. I have never seen one of these. Lovely!!! Have a great week.

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello Karen, You never let us down. It is always wonderful to look at your creation. I am soo looking forward to seeing your new doll she is looking very very pretty at the moment. Have a lovely trip to London. OH, how I wish I could go too. Hugs Judy

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

Have a wonderful time.
Your fabrics look so beautiful.
Looking forward to hearing all about it.
Mx

jennyflowerblue said...

We're meant to price things? Oh, where's my dining room table, I'm sure it's here somewhere.....

Art4Sol said...

Your work always looks so wonderful...please don't stress, you can put us on hold every now and then.